Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions

For information on the testing process and what to expect please read the following pages:

You can apply for your provisional driving license by completing the D1 application form that is available from the DVLA ordering service or Post Office® branches. You will also need to enclose original documentation confirming your identity, a passport style colour photograph and the fee of £45.00. Send your completed application and payment to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD

That special age is 17 years of age unless you are in hold of a full disability allowance which in that case you need to be 16 years old.

Once you have reached the legal driving age, before you start driving with an experience instructor or private lesson you must have your provisional license returned and completed from the DVLA.

We will give you as much help and training for your Theory, but really give yourself enough time to read the recommended books and practice with the questions and answers. Remember the theory test is now in two parts, the first part is multiple choice and you’ll be asked 50 questions in 57 minutes and the pass mark is 43 out of 50. The second part is the Hazard perception test and you will be given 14 clips of developing hazards. The pass mark for this part of the test is 44 out of 75. Both parts must be done on the same day and lasts in total 1 hour.

As you only have a provisional license your vehicle must have L-plates shown at the front and rear. Your teacher/parent must be qualified, over 21 years of age and held a driving license for more than 3 years. You are also not allowed to attempt any motorway driving.

There is no set number of driving lessons you must have before taking your practical test but if you multiply your age by 1½ , this will give you a reasonable estimate. The Driving Standards Agency statistics show those who passed were recorded to have 45 hours of professional training, combined with 22 hours of private practice. Candidates who combine professional instruction with private practice are also more successful on the test according to latest national research.

You will need to take your photo card license and paper counterpart to the test centre. if you have an old-style paper license you will also need to take a suitable form of photographic identity (passport, etc). It is also advisable to take your theory test certificate and CBT certificate, if applicable, to the driving test centre.

You need to obtain a Certificate of Entitlement to Drive (D441) from either a local Vehicle Registration Office or direct from the DVLA. This can be sent to your home address of emailed to the driving test centre if time is not on your side. Additional photographic identification is required if a D441 is presented instead of a license.